Desserts with apple in them are always my favorite and I was on a mission to find a way to enjoy these treats guilt-free.
I then came across a recipe on Chelsea’s Messy Apron for flourless glazed apple pie cookies and decided to give it a try.
The cookies do not contain oil, butter or white flour.
The only part unhealthy about these cookies is the glaze and that can be left out if you prefer.
These cookies are delicious and fairly simple to make. I highly recommend them!
- 1/2 cup roasted almond butter (peanut butter not recommended as a substitute)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lightly packed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup oat flour (blend up regular oats)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup apple (measured after grating)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2-3 teaspoons milk, I used almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the almond butter, brown sugar, and honey. (If the almond butter is cold, don’t warm it up or the cookies will spread).
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, baking soda, and oat flour. (Adjust spices and increase if desired or add slowly if wanting to decrease.)
- To make oat flour, simply place old-fashioned or quick oats in a blender or food processor and pulse until they reach a flour consistency. Measure AFTER the oat flour has formed (not the oats beforehand). Beat in the egg.
- Peel a small apple, and grate it on a cheese grater. Coarsely chop the grated pieces and toss with the lemon juice. Stir in the apple pieces and pecans if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to stay on the cookie sheet for another 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool before glazing them.
- For the glaze: beat all the ingredients together. Either spoon the glaze on, or dip the cookies into the glaze.
Hope you enjoy these guilt free cookies as much as I do!
Post by: Sarah C.