The Filene Center at Wolf Trap National Park in Vienna, Virginia is where the performing arts communities come to life. The best season of the year is approaching fast. Starting in late May and rolling through to the beginning of September this venue will hit about 100 performances. Throughout this musical journey you can expect to see a variety of artists coming to rock out.
What kind of musical escape are you looking for this Summer? Whether it is folk, pop, country, blues, orchestra, dance, theater, or opera-Wolf Trap is just waiting for you. Not a soul will feel left out this year with such a grand spectrum of variety. Let’s look through my eyes into one of the best parts about this venue. Arrive early and enjoy a few beverages on the lawn before heading to your seats. Not only can you experience the natural beauty of the Summer weather in an outdoors setting, you can take it in while sipping on your favorite crisp Summer wine or whatever your drink of choice may be at that time. The key to this is that you are allowed to bring in your own beverages and food items. You could even make it a small picnic if you would like! This adds to the welcoming atmosphere and is an extra ingredient in really making this experience a unique, personal one. Between the scenery, quality of performance, and memories made, you will be planning several trips back to this music sanctuary.
Below are some performances to watch out for!
Wolf Trap Summer Concert Series
Harry Connick, Jr., Friday, July 5th
The Doobie Brothers, Saturday, July 6th
Michael McDonald & Boz Scaggs, Sunday, July 14th
Steve Miller Band, Tuesday, July 23rd
One Republic, Monday, August 5th
Under the Sun Tour, Tuesday, August 6th
Peter Frampton’s Guitar Heroes feat. BB King, Sunday, August 11th
Ke$ha, Monday, August 12th
Huey Lewis & The News, Tuesday, August 13th
Diana Ross, Wednesday, August 14th
Grace Potter, Thursday, August 15th
Josh Groban, Friday, August 16th
ABBA The Concert (Tribute), Saturday, August 17th
Pat Benatar & Cheap Trick, Tuesday, August 20th
Dreamgirls, starring Jennifer Holliday, Saturday, August 24th
Carly Rae Jepsen, Wednesday, August 28th
ZZ Top, Wednesday, September 11th
Amazing reserved seats to the performances above and more are available through your concierge! Email email@example.com for more information.
Below you will find our tips on what to bring, what the rules are and a video from one of our concierge team members on how she enjoys Wolf Trap!
Be Strategic with Parking/Transportation
- Best spots to park are near the exit. The Parking lot traffic can get chaotic after the show so parking closer to the exit is ideal to beat traffic
- Second best parking option. If you’re okay with a little extra walking, another great way to avoid the parking chaos is by parking across the street from the Filene Center off Trap Rd.
- If you would like to skip driving into Wolf Trap all together, you can Metro in.
- Wolf Trap National Park is Metro accessible through the Fairfax Connector.
- Metro round-trip service is available from West Falls Church – VT/UVA Metrorail Station Orange Line to Wolf Trap for just $5.00.
- Service runs two hours prior to show time in 20-minute intervals.
Know When the Gates to the Venue Open
- Lawn ticket holders may enter 90 minutes prior to show time
- Lawn seats are available on a first come first serve basis, so make sure you come early to get the best seats
- Reserved ticket holders may enter the venue 30 minutes prior to show time
- Since food is not permitted in the reserved seating area you can tailgate in the parking lot or eat in one of their many pavilions
Rules for Chairs on the Lawn
- Lawn chairs are allowed however they must be used in the designated areas only (at the back of the lawn area)
- Lawn cushion with back support can be used anywhere on the lawn.
- You can rent lawn cushions at the gift shop
Outside Food & Beverages ARE Permitted
- Alcoholic beverages are also allowed in any containers except kegs
- Loose fitted clothing and breathable fabric such as cotton are best when beating the summer heat
- Show will go on rain or shine so pack an emergency poncho
Things To Bring
- Sun block
- Bug Spray
- Water with lemon/mint (cool & refreshing)
- Picnic Blanket,
- Cool & refreshing snacks
- Comfortable loose clothing, breathable fabric
- Refreshing drinks, nice cold beer, lemonade, Wine
- “Steady” Sticks
- Moist Towelettes
- Picnic cushions with back support if you prefer not to rent them
- Water Spray Fan
For more picnic ideas for recipes & decor, please visit our Pinterest!